Wasn’t sure about this one as you don’t cook the rice before putting it in the veg, but it did work. The top was a bit crunchy, but I think I overfilled the veg. I also added quite a bit of water after an hour, and put foil over the top. I have amended the ingredients to what I used which was dependent on what I had left in the fridge!
2 tomatoes, peeled
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
1 large aubergine
175ml olive oil
1 large onion, grated
300g medium grain rice
Large handful of fresh mint, finely chopped
3 tbsp. tomato paste
1 tbsp. tomato ketchup
2 large pinches of ground allspice
250ml tomato juice
Salt and pepper to season
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4.
- Cut the courgettes and aubergine in half lengthways, scoop out most of the flesh and set aside. Blanch the shells in boiling water for 5 minutes and drain.
- Finely chop the scooped-out flesh and the peeled tomatoes. Seed the bell peppers without piercing the skin (reserving the lids) and sprinkle the interior of all the vegetable shells with salt and arrange in a large ovenproof dish.
- Heat half the oil in a pan over a high heat, and add the onion. Cook for 3-4 minutes until softened.
- Add the tomato, courgette and aubergine flesh and continue to cook over a high heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the rice, mint, tomato paste, tomato ketchup, allspice and season with salt and pepper.
- Fill the vegetable shells 3/4 full with the mixture and replace the tops of the peppers. Mix the tomato juice with 150ml of hot water and pour over the top. Drizzle the remaining olive oil over the top of the vegetables and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for about 2 hours, or until lightly browned and the rice is cooked to your liking. After 1 hour, I added another 250ml of hot water and covered the tray with foil.
Recipe adapted from Vefa’s Kitchen recipe, published by Phaidon Press Inc in 2009